Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Never losing focus

I don't know, is it a cliche to say that 'it's just about the beer'? Now, I know that marketing is important, but I've always believed that if you made a good product, you will reach the folks who matter most. Yes, I said it ... PRODUCT. All manufacturers make a product. Is it art?, passion? or maybe creative expression? Maybe, but in the end we're still trying to sell something. And sometimes the quality and perception is just not enough.

We recently had a restaurant take our beer off their tap selection because, get this, our marker/handle was too sophomoric and cheap-looking. Do people really judge the merits of a beer by the cool-looking tap-marker or label on the bottle? Well, I don't know or care; I never got into this business to make a lot of money, my focus is and will always be on the beer and the people who appreciate it. I don't make the beers I brew just to be different, I make them because I have to. It's what I do. Heavyweight is not about gimmickry, it's about brewing beers that expand the wonder and boundaries of style and definition. Sometimes, the focus of the beer supersedes the availability of a cool tap-marker, sorry Witherspoon Grill.

Folks tell me I should make a regular Pils or Pale ale to drive most of our sales. From what other breweries do, this seems to make a lot of business sense. I realize that after six plus years at Heavyweight, I have very little business sense. I shamefully admit that I am only a brewer, brewing what I want (and hoping that others want it too), and when I want and above everything else .... never losing focus.

2 Comments:

At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your lousy tap design must be why I see them all over Philly being used in unspeakable ways! To pour non-HW products :)

I bitch about this practice whenever I see it.

 
At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Heavyweightbrewer,

That sucks about them pulling it off tap. I would boycott that place, but I never would go there anyway cuz it is out of the way for me. Someone on RB suggested anyone going there to ask if they have HW to stick it to them. I like your taphandles.

BTW- Im drinking that really old Hammer right now(the one with the lightning bolt on it) and it is phenomenal. Must find more!

Cheers

Paul

 

Post a Comment

<< Home