Friday, March 03, 2006

The more the merrier

Although I consider myself a social person, I do admit that when I'm in the brewery alone, I relish the solitude. I enjoy moving at my own pace and insuring that things are done properly. I don't mean to suggest that I'm not grateful to the wonderful people that lend a hand at Heavyweight. We have the best volunteers anyone could ask for. I love their interest in what I do and the passion they share about beer.

And it's the sharing that's the important thing. Sharing and collaboration in brewing seem so natural and comfortable to me. I have collaborated with let's see ... beer writers, beer advocates, other brewers, a beer store manager and homebrewers. The product of these efforts have yielded the strange and interesting beers that really define Heavyweight Brewing.

My latest project (in the OTOP label) is a series of beers brewed with area homebrew clubs. The first was a bigger Pils-style lager made with the Princeton-based PALEALES. They brought twelve members to the brewery along with the suggestion to use a bunch of rye malt and helped me make 'Ivy League Pils'. The next group, the WHALES from Woodbridge, will join me at the brewery tomorrow to make a Scotch Wee Heavy. I plan to involve another one or two groups in future brews.

It's no where near as much fun to drink or make a beer alone. As much as I enjoy quiet times at the brewery, these group-brews remind me why I started a brewery in the first place and why beer is such a perfect social beverage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home