Friday, March 03, 2006

The more the merrier

Although I consider myself a social person, I do admit that when I'm in the brewery alone, I relish the solitude. I enjoy moving at my own pace and insuring that things are done properly. I don't mean to suggest that I'm not grateful to the wonderful people that lend a hand at Heavyweight. We have the best volunteers anyone could ask for. I love their interest in what I do and the passion they share about beer.

And it's the sharing that's the important thing. Sharing and collaboration in brewing seem so natural and comfortable to me. I have collaborated with let's see ... beer writers, beer advocates, other brewers, a beer store manager and homebrewers. The product of these efforts have yielded the strange and interesting beers that really define Heavyweight Brewing.

My latest project (in the OTOP label) is a series of beers brewed with area homebrew clubs. The first was a bigger Pils-style lager made with the Princeton-based PALEALES. They brought twelve members to the brewery along with the suggestion to use a bunch of rye malt and helped me make 'Ivy League Pils'. The next group, the WHALES from Woodbridge, will join me at the brewery tomorrow to make a Scotch Wee Heavy. I plan to involve another one or two groups in future brews.

It's no where near as much fun to drink or make a beer alone. As much as I enjoy quiet times at the brewery, these group-brews remind me why I started a brewery in the first place and why beer is such a perfect social beverage.

3 Comments:

At 1:02 AM, Blogger Joemino said...

Hey! I recently intruded in on Tom's solitude while he was Lunacy bottling. While I carried on conversation about my recent beer happenings, Tom methodically continued bottling and expounded upon his recent exploits, both of which he and Peggy enjoyed immensely. As I lent a hand and kept conversing, I could easliy see Tom reaches different elevations when he's brewing. Tom's probably no different than a lot of other brewers I know, but the products he delivers is second to none with quality and consistancy being of the utmost importance. Tom not only enjoys colaborating with various beer industry entities, but I believe he loves the challenge to experiment and produce a quality product, which he consistantly does. Tom and Peggy also support the community through charitable events, homebrewing clubs and collectible clubs, which probably cannot give them enough accolades, gratitude or reward, other than continuing to support their efforts in the beer industry and buy Heavyweight products. Cheers!

 
At 1:03 AM, Blogger Joemino said...

Hey! I recently intruded in on Tom's solitude while he was Lunacy bottling. While I carried on conversation about my recent beer happenings, Tom methodically continued bottling and expounded upon his recent exploits, both of which he and Peggy enjoyed immensely. As I lent a hand and kept conversing, I could easliy see Tom reaches different elevations when he's brewing. Tom's probably no different than a lot of other brewers I know, but the products he delivers is second to none with quality and consistancy being of the utmost importance. Tom not only enjoys colaborating with various beer industry entities, but I believe he loves the challenge to experiment and produce a quality product, which he consistantly does. Tom and Peggy also support the community through charitable events, homebrewing clubs and collectible clubs, which probably cannot give them enough accolades, gratitude or reward, other than continuing to support their efforts in the beer industry and buy Heavyweight products. Cheers!

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger BeerDad said...

I was one of the PALE ALES homebrewers who colloborated with Tom to make an Imperial Pils. Tom is probably the most passionate craft brewer I have met, and we are proud to have him "represent" in our state.

One of the things that makes Tom different is that he is willing to try just about anything that he thinks will make an interesting beer. And somehow, he always manages to pull it off - whether it's a Sahti, Imperial Porter, Gruit, a Heavy Mild, or Flemish Sour (Chh Chuck). Did I mention the fact that he loves to colloborate, discuss and discourse on beer, and that you might be lucky enough to brew with him (and I have twice)?

Tom, Peggy, and Heavyweight are a class act. If I could have them change just one thing, it would be - brew the OTOP more than once. Of course, that's just because I want to drink the Imperial Pils on a regular basis!

Cheers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home