Monday, March 06, 2006

Yes, we have no brewmaster

When friends of mine introduce me to others, they often say, "He's a brewmaster". That's funny, because when I was a computer analyst, no one ever introduced me as a programmer. This makes me think that brewing is still a somewhat mystical thing to many people. Many folks who visit the brewery have no idea how beer is made and I'm constantly asked 'how did you learn to do all this?'. Of course like many other professions, brewing is an easy and simple process and one that has been around forever.

The thing that bothers me is being called 'brewmaster'. It's not about modesty I assure you. In Germany, it takes many years of classical study and apprenticeship in order to be called a master brewer. I know brewers who use the term brewmaster to describe their jobs and I'm ok with that situation. But for me, when someone calls and asks to speak to the brewmaster, I tell them that we don't have one but will the brewer do?

1 Comments:

At 9:46 AM, Blogger DS Irvin said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home