Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Radio is dead

I hate my local public radio station. I want to like them, I really do. It's WBJB and I just can't listen anymore. I love when I go to Philly and get to Listen to WXPN - that's just a wonderful station. And I just returned from a beer gig in Staten Island and got to listen to WFUV (Fordham) - that's also a cool station.

What I dislike most about 90.5 (WBJB) is that it's the most commercial public radio station on my dial. They play the same music over and over. Ok, so it is some cool music, but you do hear the same tracks over and over again. Do they have the album (CD)? Can't they play an alternate track? It is at this essence, a programmed station. They also throw in so much sponsored spots that they have to have enough money to buy a few extra CDs. I will never join this station unless they shut up and play some good music. I really wouldn't mind listening to some commercials, if they played some decent music. I used to think Rich Robinson was a good jock when he spun tunes on WHTG. Truth is, he's a dinosaur. Plays the same shit he's been playing forever. I guess the sad truth is that radio is a dead medium. You'll hear nothing new on it, commercial or otherwise. Man, I'm depressed. Guess I'll go listen to some Junior Kimbrough.

4 Comments:

At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here in the DC market we used to have a pretty cool quasi-alt station in 99.1 HFS that had been around for maybe 25 years when it was dumped in favor of Latino music -- ugh. They was enough of an outcry that they re-launched it elsewhere on the dial but hardly anybody listens anymore. This was enough to push me to talk radio + CDs so I hard ever tune into MM channels anymore. Seems like no matter what though whenever I do it's the same 5 freakin' Pearl Jam, STP, blah, blah, blah crap over and over again. And the jocks suck worse than the music.

 
At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom you need to get satellite radio. If you can find a sation on them then you might as well give up on radio and just buy cds =/

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Bryan Kolesar said...

HFS was the shit. I used to date a girl in the DC area and couldn't wait to get close to Baltimore to pick it up. It always made the drive home in the wee hours more tolerable. Unbelievable that they can take that away from us. (Sort of like y-100 here in Philly).

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately), they've put the control in our hands. Frankly, I don't even feel like going to satellite. Just give me my iPod where I can load up my wide variety of musical tastes, as well as podcasts covering everything from news to Basic Brewing Radio and Craft Beer Radio to sports and I could drive all the way across country and never be bored.

Timers are-a-changin' eh?

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Altrok Radio said...

Welp...90.5 ain't the same station FM106.3 was, it's true. It hews to a format, called "Adult Album Alternative", that's pretty well defined, and really isn't supposed to be the same loose format that 106.3 had.

But there's an exception: Fridays at 10pm, when I'm on (and with Rich's kind permission) I get to play what I want for two hours. Given that I was also at FM106.3 from 1985 to 1992, it might be the sort of thing you're looking for. I try to stick to at least a year between repeats, and because of that, what I play is usually brand new, often isn't released yet, and may not even have a US release date on the horizon...kind of the way FM106.3 used to work...

And because I have an advertising budget the size of a thimble, consider yourself advertised-to ;o)

-Sean

 

Post a Comment

<< Home